Friday, October 12, 2007

No...the OTHER football.

Anyone who's known me for more than five minutes knows that I have a special disdain for the sports world. I've written about why I think this is, and I've still got every one of those Issues I mentioned.

However.....last weekend I attended a Real Salt Lake soccer game, and actually had a good time! Good enough that upon leaving I thought, "I really should do that again."

Of course, I need to admit some things, here.

1. The only soccer rules I know are "DON'T touch the ball with your hands" and "DO kick the ball into the opposite goal." So there is a considerable lack of subtlety in my soccer viewing experience.

2. I went with fun people.

3. The players were very good looking.* Especially #6.

So really it's no bigger a triumph than luring my men-in-tights-loathing grandpa to a ballet performance with promises of elegant ladies and comfy chairs. But hey -- it's a start, right? If I concentrate reeeeally hard and faithfully attend my SHA** meetings, perhaps I can achieve a full-blown sports obsession before I die -- a shiny red cherry on my towering Obsession Sundae.***





* Do the pretty boys all choose soccer so they won't have to hide their perfect tresses under a helmet?

** Sports Haters Anonymous

*** Five scoops of "why don't we consult the Internet?," a thick drizzle of "have you noticed the worldwide conspiracy to swap the meanings of it's and its?," a generous sprinkle of "why, oh why, can't I have the chin of a hairless cat?," and a fluffy dollop of "I can only split dessert if you'll let me move half to my own plate."

6 comments:

Carina said...

Soccer players ARE the hottest; greatest kept secret in the U.S.

That's why I off and married one.

wynne said...

I HAD noticed that about the its and it's, actually. the world doesn't seem to know the difference between a contraction and a possessive. Or a plural, for that matter.

I never noticed about the soccer players, however. I've never even been to a soccer game.

'Ware, Marie. They want you to love them. Look at poor azucar.

i i eee said...

It saddens me to see apostrophes be brutalized in ever shape and form nowadays.

I've never been to a soccer game either...unless I count kiddie soccer games, when my brothers played.

i i eee said...

Leave it to me to have a typo when I'm talking about apostrophes.

Marie said...

Azucar -- Well, if your husband knows any who are looking for groupies/spouses, send them my way.

Wynne -- I am prepared to love them. I'm prepared to love any man who is vertical and respirating.

RC -- It's okay. I know that your soul is grammatically correct.

Carina said...

Did I use a semicolon up there? That was a typo, I swear!