Thursday, November 30, 2006

Ode to a nameless cat.

I would be remiss in my spinsterly duties if I didn't feature my kitty friend early in this blog. My sister and I got her from the Humane Society a couple years ago when we lived together, and my sister gave her the lovely name of Sophie. Unfortunately, the cat turned out not to have the lovely soul required to bear such a lovely name. She's kinda like the cat version of Carol Channing on speed.

So a year ago when my sister got married and left me with the furry infant substitute (and went off to have a real live infant), I decided it was time to un-name the cat and start over. She has since been nameless. Some days I think it's pointless to name her at all. She's the only kitty in the apartment, and she never came when we called her name anyway, so why bother calling her anything but Cat? Other days I enjoy giving her a different name for each of her different moods, and she has many, most of them bizarre. She has been Zippy, Fido, Bimberly (courtesy of Sharon and Emily), Chinchilla Zest, Monster, Geraldine, and The Baroness von FuzzyBuns (or The Baroness von Whatever-seems-appropriate-at-the-time). Some people are very disturbed that I can't be bothered to name my pet. I'm sure she doesn't mind, but I don't like being thought of as a cat-abuser by those who visit me.

So if you're bored at work or are trying to avoid writing that term paper, here's a task for you. Come up with the perfect name for my cat, and I'll send you...a bunch of plastic rings from the tops of milk jugs. The cat thinks they're great fun, and I'm sure you will, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek! You have a blog. Welcome to the craziness that bloging brings to your world. Oh and don't name the cat. I have a fish we have just called Trout for the past two years.

Anyway welcome to blogging!
Nat

sophie said...

You have started a blog war. Cutest cat pictures: who will win? I'm afraid you're ahead, but don't count me out . . .

motherof8 said...

We have a cat that we "rightfully stole" some years ago - the next door neighbors thought they had an "outdoor" kitten. She begged to differ and took up residence at our house. Somehow our committee attached several names to her before we learned that the neighbors called her Princesss. Her full name (If I remember rightly) is "Princess Atilla the Mouse Hun of Kitty Hen Spoiled Cat Face." I finally forbade the adding of any further names, although she is called many things.

sharonsfriendjen said...

I like the name Cat. Very fitting for her. My favorite is Baroness Von FuzzyBuns. haha!! I amuse easily, but not so easily that the plastic rings from a milk carton will entertain me. Well, you never truely know until you try I suppose. How is that tree of yours? How is that Cat and the tree? Getting along? I bet you apartment smells delightful. It was starting to smell nice when we got the tree home and the needles warmed up a bit from being outside in the freezing cold. Well, I am glad you have a blog now Marie, it is very entertaining. I LOVE the pictures you took of the ornaments by the way.